Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Sweet Smell of E-books

         E-Readers- they're portable, convenient, yet they're also somewhat controversial. Some call it a grand idea, and others... not so much. What really is the reason that some accept e-readers, while others furiously object to the idea? I'm split on the issue myself- I own a Kindle, yet most of the books I read are the real, paper books.

         Those opposed to the idea of computers taking over the papered book state cling to several ideas to back themselves up. The one I most often hear is that e-readers lack that distinctive smell, a smell that is hard to describe. Nearly every avid reader is familiar with this smell. Another big argument against e-books takes into account the computer aspect. In the time since I first bought my Kindle just over a year ago, I've had to replace it several times, due to e-reader either freezing and not responding, or a stream of lines appearing on the screen, obstructing my view of what I had been reading at the time. Now, I'm pretty sure on this, but I think physical books aren't usually prone to machine malfunctions.

         On the other hand, those who support the idea of e-books cite portability, convenience, and also the myriad of features that come with most e-readers. For example, several libraries offer an e-book service where a person can download a book from said library, and on the due date the book will simply vanish from your collection. This cuts down on late fees for those who are too busy to make it to the library, and also those who easily forget to bring their books back.

         Like I said earlier, I'm on the fence with this issue. I do enjoy the smell of old paper, yet I also appreciate the ease of use that e-readers can bring to the arena. I myself don't believe that either means of reading is better than the other- at least people are reading, right?

Long days and pleasant nights,
Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment