Monday, October 29, 2012

Those Random Little Book-Shops

      You know what I love more than anything, other than a good book and a glass of Snapple? The little, quaint book shops you see in small towns- not the big chains, like Barnes and Noble, but the small independent shops. There's something a bit more personal and nice about the small shops, that they're free of huge, generalizing advertizing and such. That you know that they're run by individual people, not by huge corporations. 

      For example, while in Cape Cod this summer, I ran across this small shop, I think it was called the Yellow Umbrella (something like that). It was small, nice, not over-the-top. We stopped by for a quick look, then moved on to more sightseeing, but it sat down and occupied the back of my mind until I decided to drag everyone back there. I just had to buy a book. I high-tailed it to the back of the shop (which was about five steps), and looked for the Stephen King (you see, I'm obsessed) section. I looked through for a few moments, picked up a copy of Salem's Lot, paid the cashier, and now my memories of the rest of that trip to Cape Cod are connected to that book.

      Of course, I think all stores that sell books are cool, but there's just something different about those smaller, individually owned shops.

Stay safe with Hurricane Sandy!

Long days and pleasant nights,
Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment